This is one of the most significant political cartoons I have seen in a long time.
The reason this cartoon is so important is because it highlights the problem in blaming an individual for becoming a victim. We refuse to accept blame or understand that maybe something is wrong with our society.
- The idea that women who dress or act a certain way “deserved it” implies that men can simply take what they want sexually without being blamed because they are too weak to control themselves and women are too promiscuous and deserve it. Since when are women responsible for stopping their own rape… last time I checked women don’t ask for it, ever.
- The idea that wearing a hoodie and walking around at night means a young black man should be found suspicious and deserves what happens next is ridiculous. John Stewart does a great job at demonstrating this when one of his corespondents Wyatt Cenac uses comedy to explain that black people do not dress suspiciously- everything they wear becomes suspicious simply because they are wearing it. The concept that a hoodie is enough to call someone suspicious or even kill them out of fear is absurd.
- The last part of the political cartoon with the young gay man follows the same line of thinking. Gay individuals deserve suicide because they are gay? First off, how can one deserve suicide, weird concept. It is extremely unfortunate that we can ever justify the suicide of any individual, but especially a youth, by claiming that they deserved to be bullied to the point of death due to their sexual preference.
Instead of blaming the victims we need to blame the rapists, racists, and bullies. We need to realize that the ideology of taking what you want when you want it should not be acceptable. We need to stand up and understand when racism and fear combine to create a deadly combination of stereotyping and ignorance. We need to grasp the fact that every individual is different in one way or another and simply because you do not agree with apart of their lifestyle does not mean you have the right to bully them and torment them until they commit suicide.
My stuff will probably look a little more like this. Plus I agree.
- irockhoodies reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- perfec-terror likes this
- paoladalia likes this
- conflictinmyhome reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback and added:
- weareluckyyouandi reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- in-the-velvet-stars likes this
- hey-hayy reblogged this from neneleakesyournudes
- neneleakesyournudes reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- a-head-in-the-clouds reblogged this from jolly-rogers
- jolly-rogers reblogged this from content-without-perfection
- donde-bitch likes this
- dannick-this-is-me reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- faundreams likes this
- 1000luckystars reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- aimeemarland reblogged this from takingourpoliticsback
- takingourpoliticsback posted this